Have you ever stayed up late craving something sweet? Most people answer “yes!” without a second thought. While this is not uncommon, it can be unfortunate. It may cause you to cheat on your diet or go for a super sugary cookie when in fact, that’s not the best option for your body. If you are someone looking to lose weight in a healthy way, you may have investigated a low-carb or keto diet. This is a way to healthily cut sugars and carbohydrates from your diet to help your body lose inches and fat. In fact, this is a great diet for those looking for a higher protein intake as well.
However, it can be tricky to kick those cravings. Unfortunately, they seem to hit at all the wrong times, leaving you shaky and tempted by a warm brownie or scoop of ice cream. Luckily, there are ways to avoid these cravings or substitute certain unhealthy food items for higher protein and lower carb ones.
Here are some tips for dealing with these cravings in a healthy way:
- Get a healthier snack. Often these cravings hit when you are hungry. While it can be tempting to break your diet, consider a healthier low carb snack to reduce hunger and avoid bad foods.
- Substitute sugar. Many keto or low carb food options can still taste sweet. What? You heard that right. A snack such as the Chocorite Chocolate Crispy Caramel Clusters has only 6 grams of net carbs while tasting as sweet as can be.
- Wait 5 minutes. This may seem silly, but if you wait 5-10 minutes, your craving may pass. The longer you wait, the more likely it is that you can avoid giving into the craving and eating a food that breaks your diet.
- Distract yourself. One of the main reasons people snack is because they are bored. If you get a sudden craving, try distracting yourself with a funny video, scrolling through social media, or picking up a chore. This is a great way to avoid snacking unnecessarily.
- Grab a glass of water and go to bed. A lot of people get cravings late at night once they have passed their bedtime threshold. This can cause snacking. To avoid this, grab a glass of water to fill your stomach and head to bed.
If you struggle with sugar cravings, you aren’t alone. Many people struggle with this even after successfully weaning off sugar and beginning a keto diet. Finding sugar substitutes that work with your diet is one of the key things you can do to find snacks that work. Having a sweet tooth can make this diet particularly challenging, however, there are ways to avoid it. While it is not easy, avoiding sugar while on a diet will pay off in the long run. Not only will you feel better emotionally and physically, but you will see the results you are waiting for.